What is the treatment for my baby suffering from diarrhea?

baby fell off the bed yesterday & hit his head he vomited straight after & has a small bump on head. He has had diarrhoea for two days that smell like vomit
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 6 minutes later
Hi i read your query and would like to say that the vomit may be due to gastroenteritis. However consult a neurologist.
Follow-up: What is the treatment for my baby suffering from diarrhea? 3 minutes later
Do you mean the diarehea? He obly threw up once after he fell but has diarhea that smells like vomit.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 40 hours later
Brief Answer: Diarrhea caused by viral infection of the stomach. Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. If your baby vomited once straight after falling, it could be because of the trauma/hit. I suggest to apply cold compresses to the bump area. If your baby starts vomiting again or is feeling weird; I'd suggest to get him checked by a neurologist pediatrician for further evaluation. You are saying that your baby is having diarrhea. Could you please indicate: - how often he passes the stool? (how many times/day) - if the stool is loose or watery? The most probable cause of her diarrhea is gastroenteritis (viral infection of the stomach) which is experienced with the smell like vomit. If she is not having high fever, I'd suggest to: - give her plenty of water - give tasectan and probiotics for diarrhea - give o.r.s to avoid dehydration (to replace the lost electrolytes while having diarrhea) If she is having high fever (>39 ), I'd suggest to send her to ER and consult pediatrician as soon as possible. Hope it helped! Dr.Benard Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!