What is the treatment for muscle spasms in my neck, underarms, biceps and forearms?

I am congested, have muscle spasms/tension in my trapezoid, neck, underarm, bicep and forearm all on my right side. The pain is so severe it wakes me up at night. This has been ongoing for 2 weeks. My doctor put me on Meloxicam (generic for Mobic 7.5 mg. nothing helps the pain. I have been on this med for 2months... Please help
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 39 minutes later

From the description of your pain and symptoms, it seems that you might be having fibromyalgia.

Fibromyalgia is a common syndrome of long-term, body-wide pain and tender points in joints, muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues. It is also associated with fatigue, sleep problems, headaches, depression, anxiety, and other symptoms.

You might benefit by getting some laboratory and x-ray tests to rule out other conditions that may have similar symptoms.

Treatment involves physiotherapy, physical exercise, and methods for reducing stress.

Medications that might be helpful include - Tricyclic antidepressants, muscle relaxants.

Physiotherapy helps to stretch and mobilize tight, sore muscles, In addition, light massage, acupressure, acupuncture, and relaxation techniques also might be helpful.

You might benefit by consulting a pain clinic, who can diagnose your condition and provide proper care and advice.

I hope this helps.

I shall be available to answer any follow up queries .
Follow-up: What is the treatment for muscle spasms in my neck, underarms, biceps and forearms? 6 hours later
I went to the emergency room this morning and found I have degenerative joint disease which calls for a specialist.....neurologist so I do not accept your anser.

Thank you anyway,

Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 25 minutes later
Hello Suzie,

Its a difficult to diagnose online, and hence we give a presumed diagnosis based on the limited history that is provided.

The diagnosis we provide is not definitive, as we don't have access to your prior medical records, or the ability to examine you in person.

DJD is a disorder involving the bones, and the symptoms mentioned do not mention joint pains, so its difficult to imagine that you have Degenerative joint disease.

Its good that finally after 2 months , you have been given a proper diagnosis, and hence I wish, you a good and pain free health.