What is the treatment for mole in the back of my eye?

I had an eye test yesterday and was told there was a mole on the back of my eye.....apparently a blood vessel running over the top was very flat and the mole was of jagged appearance round the edge and had what appeared to be white calcification ......the optometrist suggested it may be a melanoma what do I do from here.....there is a long history of cancer in my family , I am 60 years old
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Diagnosis has to confirmed and managed accordingly Detailed Answer: Hi.Thanks for writing on XXXXXXX Dark spots on the back of the eye are suggestive of intraocular melanoma. I were to first confirm the diagnosis and then think about the management depending on the stage of the tumor. This has to be confirmed by other tests like slit lamp, ultrasound examination, angiography and OCT (occular coherence tomography). I would like to know some more information to address your concerns better. Did you have any visual disturbance? What was the reason for getting the eye test? Could you tell what cancer did your family members suffer from? Thanks
Follow-up: What is the treatment for mole in the back of my eye? 5 hours later
Family history cancer ranged from brain tumours to stomach and lung cancer. Reason for the eye test was deterioration in sight and black floaters.
Answered by Dr. Praveen 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please get a complete ophthalmic examination Detailed Answer: Hi.Thanks for writing me back Deterioration of vision, floaters and calcified mole in the back of the eye are pathological and intraocular melanoma has to be ruled out. Usually Melanoma does not cause any symptoms and suspected during the eye test.Depending on cell type, size and location it is treated by radiation or surgery.I would suggest to meet an Ophthalmologist for further management. Wish you good health. Thanks.