What is the treatment for migraine?

Nov 2013

hi, my mother is having headache from last couple of years.most of the time pain occurs in right side of head and whenever pain occurs some swelling also appear on right side of forehead. now she visited one dr and dr ask for ct scan and according to report dr said she is suffering from migraine. so i am attaching that ct scan report and prescription provided by dr. i want some neurologist review the report and prescription and let me know what else we need to do to cure the disease.
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 28 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi Mr XXXXXXX Thank you for posting your query. First of all, I would like to reassure you that your mother's CT scan of brain is within normal limits, and hence, there is no need to worry. So, the most likely diagnosis in her case is migraine. In migraine, we need to use daily medicines to prevent the recurrence of headaches in future. The good options for this include flunarizine, beta blockers, topiramate and divalproex. In fact, she has been prescribed these drugs by her neurologists. For relief of headaches, she can take rizatriptan, naproxen or elipran. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: My blog:
Follow-up: What is the treatment for migraine? 19 hours later
Thank You Doctor, just one more thing i want to know, any further test required if this CT scan report is not revealing the actual diseases?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: As of now, no further tests are required. You can continue the medications, as advised by the neurologist. If her headaches do not improve even after a month or two, then, MRI scan of brain along with venogram may be done. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow-up: What is the treatment for migraine? 17 minutes later
OK, Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you. Detailed Answer: Thank you and best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)