What is the treatment for meridional amblyopia?

My son is 5 years 4 months old. He has just got diagnosed with Cylindrical power in his eyes as follows :-
R.E : Sph - Nil , Cylindrical -2.5 ,160 degrees 6/12 partial
L.E : Sph - Nil , Cylindrical -2.00 ,20 degrees 6/12 partial

His complaint is sometimes he misses to see a cricket ball or confuses v and y . other than that he is very active and no complaint. It is suggested he patches up both eye alternately for 6 hrs for 3 months and have weekly light therapy (excuse my verbiage) meaning his eye will be exposed to light .

I am myself having a acute myopia from same age with both speherical and cylindrical power which reduced with age. I am not averse to specs. What i need to know is this patch up of eye going to help. He is active and i dont want him to have a handicapped feeling. Please advise
Posted Sun, 30 Dec 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 10 hours later
thanks for sending your query to us.
this approach is correct .This is the treatment for meridional amblyopia.This has a slight handicap of restricting the field of vision of the child,but children get adjusted to this in a very short time and since this difficulty is for a few months only and you get a good vision for the child for life ,then this is worth the hassle
Since these suggestions given by your ophthalmologist are technically correct that means you are in good hands and therefore you should go ahead with the treatment with full energy.
Please do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard..
Follow-up: What is the treatment for meridional amblyopia? 13 hours later
Dr Misra , thank you for clearing the doubt. I just want to know if we are for any reason not able to do the patching consistently (as both my wife also works in service industry ) will the treatment via light exposure and cosntant spectacle wear help this to improve .
thanks for getting back to us.
Some variation in patching may be allowed under the circumstances,but by and large you should stick to the schedule.As we have to attack the problem with full force,including patching,exercises,glasses,and at this age we get very good results.