What is the treatment for lumps on my neck?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have found four lumps that I have no clue what they are, there's one on each side of my neck that I've had since I was 8 (about 12 years now), and the other two are on the inner side of my jaw, one on each side. I am able to move all four, the two at my jaw I am able to move to the outer side of my jawbone. The two at my jaw are continuing to swell and are about the size of a quarter each and are causing me pain in general; and more so when I eat or talk.
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Lymph node swellings. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The painful swellings near your jaw are likely to be swollen lymph nodes. Lymph nodes are part of the of the immune system which helps in fighting against infections. They are like police man of our body, it pops out whenever there is ongoing infection in the vicinity and become inflamed or enlarged. The conditions may range from trivial infections such as a throat infection, to life-threatening such as cancers. With respect to your condition the small freely mobile swelling that you have are likely to be due to infections- either because of scalp infection such as dandruff, folliculitis, boil, etc. or infection in the ear canal or an infection in the oral cavity. You need to take pain relievers such as dicolfenac/ibuprofen and an antibiotic after the consultation of your doctor. Avoid using any ear buds to clean the ear and drink plenty of water to keep you well hydrated. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What is the treatment for lumps on my neck? 1 hour later
I don't have any infections though. No dandruff, no ear infections, no cavities- nothing. Just these "lumps", is there anything else that can cause them?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Allergy or acne is likely. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. It can also be due to generalized allergies, autoimmune problems, acne, etc. If no infections are present then these are more likely to be reactive lymph nodes that are harmless. This can be confirmed after FNAC. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards