What is the treatment for lump on the adrenal gland?

my husband was told he has a lump on his adrenal gland..what would be ' procedure for this. does he need to see a urologist or some other specialist. His family doctor said wait and we'll see if it grows? Is that correct or should we get another opinion? I am not at my house at the present so if I have topay for this consultation, I have to wait till I get home tonight (my wallet and purse are at home) my husband dropped me off at the grandchildren (babysitting)
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Get this investigated Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this lump that your husband has on his adrenal gland. The approach to this lump would greatly depend on a number of factors as we take a look below. This is because they are present in as many as 3% of the general population without causing harm of the possibility of causing harm to the body. 1. If this was an incidental finding(found during investigations for a different condition), the characteristics of the mass have to be closely evaluated. If the final information is in suspect of a malignant tumor(size greater than 4-6cm, irregular contours, etc), it would need to be immediately evaluated and managed probably with a surgical excision if there are no contraindications. 2. If the size is less than 4cm, with no worrisome symptoms or reasons to suspect cancer, the best approach would be to monitor over time just to make sure nothing abnormal is happening in the background. 3. Finally, if there are symptoms of excess hormone secretion like poorly controlled hypertension, low potassium levels, etc, we would need to evaluate the hormone levels and act accordingly depending on the preliminary findings. In all, we need more information to tell what the exact approach would be here. I will suggest you gather this information from your doctor and see what the best way forward is or get back to me for more guidance. Your doctor has already made conclusions and settle on monitor, I have no reasons to doubt his judgment. If you however think it doesn't settle exactly following the above points I have mentioned above, then I will suggest that you follow up and gather more information to feel comfortable with the final decision. I hope this provides useful information too help you understand what is going on. I wish him well. thank you so much for using our services and please do feel free to request for more information or clarifications if need be. Have a great day with your grand kids! Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.