What is the treatment for lump near my infant's shoulder?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My 2 months old daughter is pre-term (35w) and is now 2.4 kgs. Couple of days back we observed a lump in the back side near her left shoulder. Our pediatrician asked us to take an ultrasound scan and attached are the reports. He has adviced us to consult a pediatric surgeon. We are concerned if it is anything serious requiring an immediate surgery and if it is related to any long term medical issue.
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not a serious emergency but needs surgery Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing to healthcare magic. It's a fluid filled collection in one of the shoulder muscles. There is nothing alarming. Definitely it's not related to any chronic medical issue . So don't worry. This can happen spontaneously or as a result of local injury or lifting your baby by pulling hands. Supraspinatus muscles inserts into shoulder as apart of rotator cuff. Any tear in this cuff can result in necrosis and cyst formation. Consult your pediatric surgeon or orthopedician . It needs surgery definitely if it persists but not emergency. Wishing your kid speedy recovery. Regards Dr Arun
Follow-up: What is the treatment for lump near my infant's shoulder? 20 hours later
Thanks a lot Dr XXXXXXX your reply gave us a peace of mind with lot more details. Couple of questions (Sorry, Yesterday couldnt upload the picture of the baby/lump, uploaded it today for your review): * Will the size of lump increase with time or as baby grows? Will it create any discomfort / pain for the child? * Are there chances that it will drain off on its own without surgery? I will anyway visit the Child Trust Hospital, Nungambakkam, Chennai this weekend for a consultation with pediatric surgeon (My family doctor has referred to Dr.Namachivayam). Thanks & Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Arun 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: May go down but chances are less Detailed Answer: Hi Seeing the size on the photo you uploaded I think it may go down but chances are less . It can cause discomfort when the child moves ,sometimes you can get bleeding inside the cyst if pressure is applied inadvertently. It's better to remove it surgically. Dr Namachivayam is an expert. I have worked in child's trust 3 years back in icu and know he is the best in the city .You will find him very helpful. Regards