What is the treatment for lower back pain caused by doing squats?

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi, my son 24 years old went to the gym and was doing squats with weight this evening. He started feeling pain in a lower back, he thinks he pinched a muscle. He wants to use a heating pad for getting rid of the pain and heal faster. I am his mother and don't think this is right thing to do in this situation. Pls, tell us what is the best thing to do now.
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Rest and Ice works better in first 24 hours Detailed Answer: Hello Madam, I understand your concern and you are right this time. If it is a back sprain and injury time is less than 24 to 48 hours, heat is not needed rather it will increase pain and swelling. For the initial one to two days, any muscle injury need ice and rest. Heat is more effective in long standing back and knee problems. So for now he should avoid bending forward and take rest. Ice application will also help. Also if pain is a little too much I would start a muscle relaxants. These drugs decrease muscle tension. I hope this answer will help you. Feel free to ask any thing else if you need. Regards
Follow-up: What is the treatment for lower back pain caused by doing squats? 30 minutes later
Thank you Doctor!
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: welcome. Detailed Answer: welcome. feel free to ask anything else if you need.