What is the treatment for lower abdominal pain?

Hi doctor I am 38 year old female I have been having pain on my lower back left abdomin and runs into my leg. It's keeping me up at night I've been waiting it out to see if it will go away but after a week I still have the pain. I can't sleep on my belly because it hurts but when I lay on my back I feel relieved by the pressure. I should also add that I don't get to have bowel movement normally I take laxatives everyday otherwise I won't use the bathroom for weeks
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Seems to be PIVD Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. Hi , I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern. Pain in lower back , radiating to legs can be due to nerve compression in between the vertebral discs, also called as PIVD (Prolapsed Intervertebral Disc). It is usually associated with tingling and numbness Pain sometimes can be due to muscular spasm of lower back muscles , however ,it usually doesn't radiate to legs. I would like to know if there is any history of back sprain , jerk , trauma , fall. A clinical examination would clear the picture. I recommend following things : 1. Clinical Examination including deep tendon reflexes. 2. X-ray LS Spine , and If indicated MRI LS Spine. 3. A combination of Pain killer and muscle relaxant like Flexon MR. 4. If the pain is neuropathic , asscociated with tingling and numbness , drugs like Pregabalin , Duloxetine can be used. You should discuss my opinion with your doctor , i am sure he/she will agree to this. If you are found to have PIVD , further treatment would depend on extent of prolapse. Your problem related to bowel , is secondary now , however , you should continue taking laxatives and should only use western toilet. This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any query you may please ask me. Stay Healthy. Dr Anshul Varshney , MD
Follow-up: What is the treatment for lower abdominal pain? 3 minutes later
Western toilet is that a brand of laxiatives Is it possible to have this condition and only have pain on my left side. I haven't had any falls or truma to my back.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: It's not a brand Detailed Answer: Dear Friend Western toilet is not a brand of laxative. I mean by that to use , standing seats for toilet purposes. In many countries , people have sitting toilets , where you have to squat to use them , and in PIVD , they can aggravate the problem. If you don't have a further query , you may please close the discussion and rate it.