What is the treatment for liver cancer? Is radiotherapy fully effective? Also have liver cirrhosis.

age- 52 yrs female (2 son & 2 dauter, then operation done.)
hight-5 ft
wight- 54kg
before 5 yrs blood vomiting and then emergency its treated by gestrologist last one yrs very slide pain. so resantly contect to consultant and requred test done.
cancer tumer 3rd stage near liver and also liver cirrohsis as per cts/biopsy report.
as per doctor says operation are very risky.and suggest for radiotherapy.
so,pl tell me what is the treatment for the same,radio therapy effected fully or partaly ?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing some good recommendations for you here.

I actually need some more information from you regarding the recent diagnosis. Could you please send a copy of the CT scan report and biopsy report to my attention at YYYY@YYYY

I need to review the pathology and extent of the growth of the tumor to help confirm what is the best option at this time.

With advanced stage cancers it is very often that surgery is not helpful and can in fact cause a patient to become even more sick without adding quality or quantity to days of life. The operation is not only risky, it will likely provide no real benefit as the tumor is so advanced.

Radiotherapy however can serve as a good alternative to help control the advancement of the disease. At the same time is is absolutely necessary for you to realize that there may in fact be no cure for this. It is something that is managed in that case to optimize your quality of life.

again I need to review the scans and pathology before advising further at this time. I look forward to receiving those from you.

Dr. Galamaga