What is the treatment for kidney damage caused due to hyperaldosteronism ?

I recently had an adrenal gland removed to correct hyperaldosteronism which was causing my hypertension and in turn causing kidney damage. Since my operation 9-20-13, my blood pressure has been 120/60 with minor medication, and my kidney function has remained low, but has been stable. What is the prognosis for my kidneys to maintain this low level 18%, over extended time.
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Good control is required! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this hyperaldoteronism that greatly contributed to this kidney damage. The damage done to the kidney is permanent and on no occasion would the function rise to more than 18% ever again. The prognosis of maintaining this function depends greatly on controlling all the known possible factors and illnesses that can cause or aggravate kidney damage. they include adequate control of diabetes, hypertension, avoiding medications like aspirin, tylenol, and others that damage the kidney, avoid alcohol and tobacco, drink much water to always stay well hydrated, avoiding contrast products, diets too rich in proteins, etc. Your doctor would recommend some depending on the specifics. When all these are well controlled, we can have a long period without deterioration. The honest truth is that even without any condition, over kidney function wears out as we age. We cannot completely stop this, but thank God it never gets too bad to require special interventions in most of us. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for using our services and please feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.