What is the treatment for joint pain and constipation when suffering from firbromyalgia?

Rheumatologist
Question
In 1994 I had encephalitis and transverse myelitis. I am 63 now. Had firbromyalgia and Drs said was intensified. Symptoms are getting worse. Joint and back pain, stomach problems, constipation. Sometimes takes me hours to walk properly in the morning. General feeling of malaise. Always tired.
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your query I will like to tell you that fibromyalgia is a very annoying disease , it comes with bouts of flares . Since you are having lots of weakness and malaise a Vitamin D , S. Calcium levels , CPK needs to be done to look for any other cause then fibromyalgias . If all these are normal then fibromyalgias needs to be treated . Duloxetine and tryptomes will be the drug of choice to improve the symptoms . I will advise you to see a rheumatologist for getting yourself assessd as physical examination will be vital in your case to see whether tender points are present or not . Take care. Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: What is the treatment for joint pain and constipation when suffering from firbromyalgia? 4 hours later
some doctors believe that fibromyalgia is the secondary encephalitis. I had a kidney infection that they believe triggered it. I was quadriplegic when I came out of the coma and not expected to walk. However, I did after 2 months in the hospital. Can you elaborate some more on post encephalitic state and treatment other than pain medication.

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Fibromyalgia is not related to encephalitis generally , it is a condition in which there is increased pain perception . If our diagnsis is made already in terms of fibromyalgia then we will discuss that . Post encephalitis states are not fibromyalgia. Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: What is the treatment for joint pain and constipation when suffering from firbromyalgia? 5 hours later
I was also asking about treatments for the residual symptoms of encephalitis, ie back pain from the transverse myelitis, periods of stuttering, lack of concentration, balancing problems. I can go for months and be ok and then I go down severely and can barely get around usually from 2 weeks to a month.

Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for reverting back . I know ow agonising the situation can be but there is no definitive treatment for the symptoms you are mentioning . Only supportive care can be provided because whatever neurons have been damaged that cannot be reversed . And it happens to be recurrent problem , but for pain you can take an opioid based drug like oxycodone but that needs to be prescribed by your treating doctor if there is no contraindication . Dr. Shruti