What is the treatment for itching around my anus?

General Surgeon
Hi my name is XXXX, I feel a bit silly asking this question as I am a nurse, but I have run out of options. About 6 months ago my husband complained of an itchy anus, it then became very painful. It is not constant and may only reoccur every 2 weeks or so, he tried creams, ointments and lotions. Now my 16 year old son is having the same issues, itching then severe burning.
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Pin worm infestation or Scabies likely Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Ms XXXX Pruritus in anus affecting both adult( husband) and Pediatric age(son) is likely to be due to either 1. Worm Infestation: especially the pinworm infection. It leads to intense itching especially at night and prolonged itching may cause excoriation of skin causing burning Diagnosis is based on demonstration of parasite eggs in stool specimen. 2. Scabies : It can affect all the family members due to close contact. Some may be symptomatic and few asymptomatic. Diagnosis is based on typical clinical papular lesion. I could suggest you the above two causes. I would suggest you to consult your Physician preferably a dermatologist and discuss these diagnosis. Do get back to me madam if you require any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Surgeon