What is the treatment for irregular bowel movements with constipation?

I am a 26 year old female, smoker, occasional drinker, and aside from being 30 lbs overweight I have no other health issues. However, I have very irregular bowel movements. I am constipated all the time. Sometimes i don't go for 3 or 4 days. Lately, when i do go, its an all day affair accompanied with stomach aches and my stool is soft but gets softer/runny as the day goes on. These days usually follow a night of drinking(4 drinks XXXXXXX ). Aside from coffee every morning, I only drink water, and lots of it as I feel very thirsty often. I exercise or at least get a lot of walking in everyday. I eat a lot of whole grains, rich greens and other fibrous foods. I had also used Miralax with great success for the first 5 doses, but I had to stop because instead of helping me go, it gave me terrible cramps and oddly placed gas with added constipation. I don't know what else I could do but look forward to mornings after binge drinking. Any suggestions?
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Thorough evaluation by Gastroenterlogist Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Alternating Constipation and diarrhea could be either due to Protozoal infection like Giardiasis or could be a Spectrum of Irritable Bowel Syndrome(IBS-- diagnosis is made by exclusion of other causes and then only a possibility of IBS considered). In your case you require thorough revaluation of your symptoms by Gastroenterlogist, thorough history, Clinical examination and investigative workup will help. I would suggest the following 1. Stool microscopy for Oval and Cyst 2.Digital rectal examination followed by Proctoscopy Depending on the above further evaluation by Colonoscopy can be deemed to be useul to rule out Inflammatory bowel disease. Complete Abstinence from Smoking and alcohol will go a long way in relieving your symptoms If you need any further assistance do get ack to me, will be glad to assist you Wishing you healthy life Take Care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS MD