What is the treatment for insect bite?

Cardiologist
Question
My gf has a an insett bit for 3 months that will not heal.
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following answer. Detailed Answer: Hi, Sorry for the delay in my response. I read your query and understood your concern. The fact that the wound doesn't heal may be related to inflammation or infection of the tissue around. To give a better opinion I need a picture of the bite wound. Meanwhile I suggest: - keep the affected area well cleaned; dried; - apply o.t.c. iodine and oxygenated water and antibiotic ointment/cream - if no improvement, consult a dermatologist or surgeon I'm waiting for more data as requested. All the best to you and your GF! Dr.Benard

Follow-up: What is the treatment for insect bite? 2 hours later
I uploaded some pictures. Thank you for the answer. I was actually expecting a dermatologist but please look at the pics and let me know what you think. Also to mention that the area is extremely itchy.

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following answer. Detailed Answer: Hi again, Thank for sending in the photo of your current skin problem. I have seen the reports and I could say that the site of insect bite seems to be infected. Therefore, you must need to start a course of oral antibiotics together with keeping clean and well-medicated the site. Usually, I prescribe a course of Amoxycylin/Clavulonate together with Doxycycline antibiotics for up to 2 weeks. In addition, I'd like to know other medical data of yours in order to diagnose/exclude Lyme disease (if the insect was a tick): - is she also experiencing flu-like symptoms/fever/rash? - is she having headache/muscle/joint pain (arthritis like symptoms)? Looking forward to gently have the requested data? Thank you! Dr.Benard

Follow-up: What is the treatment for insect bite? 7 hours later
Thank you. we are not sure what insect was it. It was when we traveled to Israel. she didn't experience anything else as fever or what. How can we get the antibiotics? and what type of medicine we can get under the counter?

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following answer. Detailed Answer: Hi again, Thank you for following up. If this is her case, then, I'd suggest to consult a dermatologist as soon as possible. Furthermore, usually, antibiotics can be only give by prescription. You can get the local treatment over-the-counter: - betaine/iodine - oxygenated water - antibiotic ointment/cream (containing gentamycin/hydrocortisone) - medicated bandages I am glad to come to know she did not experience fever or other flu-like symptoms. Once again, I insist consulting a dermatologist or your local physician to start oral antibiotics as the area is infected and need immediate antibiotic-treatment. Wish fast recovery! Dr.Benard