What is the treatment for hypothyroidism?

Infertility Specialist
I had been diagonised with PCOS and was on Glycomet 500 for the past 4 years. Since last 5 months, I had a feeling that I was gaining weight. So I had a TFT done in November. Result is attached. TSH was 9.68. I had a test done again today and my TSH level is 13.9. The result says that I have subclinical hypothyroidism. Pl. suggest. Last September (2013), I stopped taking Glycomet and I started taking it again after the 1st result.
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: High TSH Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. I have read your query & I understand your concerns. Following is my reply: 1) Your TSH levels are very high and needs to be treated. Please visit an endocrinologist for the prescription of accurate dose. 2) Glycomet can be taken for PCO. It is unrelated to TSH values. But hypothyroidism exists and has to be treated. 3) Hypothyroidism is probably causing your weight gain. I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any followup queries you have. Regards, Dr.Mahesh Koregol IVF & Infertility Specialist.
Follow-up: What is the treatment for hypothyroidism? 12 minutes later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX As advised, I shall meet an endocrinologist for hypothyroidism. Is taking glycomet for long periods harmful in any other way?? I am comfortable taking it because my periods are regular since I started taking it.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 6 hours later
Brief Answer: safe Detailed Answer: Hi Metformin is safe drug. It eont cause any problems. Please continue. Regards