What is the treatment for herniated disk nerve root and baker's cyst behind my knee?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I fell down my carpeted stairs March 2013, a month later developed a Baker's Cyst behind my right knee. Started to experience severe pain in my left buttock, thigh, calf, and foot about 3 weeks ago. Had an MRI yesterday 12/26 and it showed L5 LS 1 herniated disk nerve root. What is the course of treatment? Is this related to my previous fall?
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Might be related to your previous injury. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. In most cases, a herniated disk will respond to conservative treatment. conservative treatment include limited bed rest (generally no more than a day or two) warm baths, heating pads and medications, such as aspirin or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) or muscle relaxants. After initial bed rest you need good physiotherapy exercises to strengthening your back. After one to two weeks, you usually can begin a more strenuous program of daily aerobic exercises (walking, biking, swimming) and physical therapy. If these not work epidural steroid injections may be helpful. If all these measures fails, other option is surgery (disectomy). This herniated disc might be related to your previous injury. Hope this helps you . let me know if you have any more concerns. Take care.