What is the treatment for herniated disc and bulging disc in my neck?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have have had documented herniated disc and bulging disc by MRI in neck. I have had two and the second showed some worsening of neck. Surgeon did not want to do surgery just for pain. I agree. Lately, I have had increase pain in the neck and left shoulder and an electrical current type feeling running down my neck and seems slightly to left. Can't find a comfortable position. Muscle relaxers and two aleve tablets do not help. MRI last week showed among other bulges and herniated discs severe narrowing of canal at C4/5. Nureosurgeon in the past did not want to do surgery for pain. Best options? Numerous PTs have not helped
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Apply hot packs. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your problem. You need to have some patience. As you have herniated discs in neck region you need to be very particular about you daily activities involving neck region e.g- 1. Always wear cervical collar with chin support . 2. Try to avoid reading books with out chair and table. 3.Reduce time spent in front of your computer. Simply taking muscle relaxants with painkillers do no help, you have to apply hot packs in neck region for 30 mins in morning and evening. Take pre-gabalin tablets by discussing with your doctor. If you have severe pain not relieved for 7 days .You should again consult to your Doctor for pain and severe narrowing of canal at C4/5 due to herniation of disc plus. Your doctor may advise you for the nerve block in neck region . He may also advise you operation in neck region e.g decompression etc. I hope you get your answer. You are welcome to ask any health related query. Thanks.

Follow-up: What is the treatment for herniated disc and bulging disc in my neck? 5 days later
Dr. XXXXXXX Thank you. I have the MRI Report in front of me. At C4/5 there is moderate left foramina stenosis; C5-6 moderate spondylosis & facet hypertrophy, miles central spinal stenosis, and moderate bilateral foramina stenosis; C6-7 spondylolisthesis. moderate central spinal stenosis and moderate bilateral foramina stenosis; C3-4 severe left foramina stenosis. Above is actual wording from MRI conclusions of MRI on Dec. 17. This doesn't mean much clinically - I tried to define the terms on internet. What is the best specialist to see? I want the best information so I can discuss with specialist and my primary on a somewhat schooled basis. Electrical current feeling running down back left and out to left shoulder seems more noticeable. Great deal of pain in back of neck and left side. Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Spine Surgeon or neurosurgeon. Detailed Answer: Hi, First of all thanks for the query again. I have read your problem in detail. My friend ,it is good that you want to know about your neck problem in detail, but one thing I want to suggest you that, do not read from internet. Because these medical terms are difficult to understand from internet. What is written in MRI must be confirmed by doctor by physical examination. So MRI is only to confirm the diagnosis but not to made the diagnosis. You need to be checked by some orthopedician (spine surgeon) /neurosurgeon. Only (doctor) orthopedician (spine surgeon) /neurosurgeon who do your physical examination and read you MRI report along with, will advise your further management. Your doctor may advise you for the nerve block in neck region . He may also advise you operation in neck region e.g decompression etc. Till then- 1. Always wear cervical collar with chin support . 2. Try to avoid reading books with out chair and table. 3.Reduce time spent in front of your computer. Simply taking muscle relaxants with painkillers do no help, you have to apply hot packs in neck region for 30 mins in morning and evening. Take pre-gabalin tablets by discussing with your doctor. You should also try to control your diabetes by consulting your physician regularly.Because diabetes melts bones along with other organs. I hope you get your answer. You are welcome to ask any health related query. Thanks.