What is the treatment for hallucination?

can you tell me how to treat hallucinations of my 92 year old mother
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please, get her consulted. Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about the hallucinations that your mother has. Hallucination is a very vague term and often need a follow up description of the exact symptoms to make sure we get it right. However, any recent change in the mental status, coherence, orientation, believes etc warrants a medical visit to identify what the possible cause is. The most common cause of acute changes inn mental status(delirium) is a urinary tract infection or another infection. This can only be clearly investigated and addressed after a detailed interrogation and testing. If this has been going on for long, it may actually represent a form of dementia given her age. However, we can only suspect these but not confirm any as we need ore information fro question, examination and testing to make the final diagnosis and appropriate treatment. Considering the above information, I will suggest that you get your mother to be consulted. Start with a primary care physician who would evaluate and make the necessary referrals if need be. If she is combative, please help restrain and put an eye on her so that she may not hurt herself. If the believes are clearly instructions that constitute danger to herself or others, please be even more attentive and careful But for sure the specifics are needed before measures can be proposed. I hope you find this information helpful and guiding on how to address this problem. Thank you for using our services and please feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. I wish her well. Dr.Ditah, MD.