What is the treatment for grade iv prostatomegaly?

My prostate is measured as 5.4 x 4.9 x 5.1 cm and weighs 71.3grms, The radiologist finds normal in shape, outline and echo pattern, No focal lesion seen, Lower end of both ureters are not dilated. other junction are normal. but radiologist says it could be IV Grade Prostatomegaly. Is it true as per the above report. if so what is the treatment, I need your expert advise.
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

From the given description of your prostate, your prostatomegaly does seem to be in grade III-IV.

Grade III or IV Prostatomegaly is normally seen in males above the age of 50. This is not harmful at all. The main recommended treatment for this is a small procedure called trans urethral resection of prostate (TURP). In this procedure, a small portion of the prostate which is causing symptoms or could cause symptoms (like obstruction of flow of urine, poor stream, etc.) in the future, is resected. It is a safe and effective procedure.

In the meantime, you could request your doctor to start on medications (dutasteride, tamsulosin) if you are experiencing any symptoms caused by an enlarged prostate (poor flow of urine, dribbling, poor stream, difficulty urinating, etc.).

Also, request your doctor to check prostate-specific antigen (PSA) which is commonly measured in all cases of prostate enlargement and will help in ruling out prostate cancers. This is only part of the procedure on finding an enlarged prostate, please do not be alarmed.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Do write back to me for any further clarifications or information on your condition. I would love to be of assistance.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: What is the treatment for grade iv prostatomegaly? 53 minutes later
Dear Dr. Shoaib XXXXXXX ,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply and advice. Kindly clarify me, is there any medicine or exercise to bring back my prostate to its normal size. If so what are those medicines. I do not find any pain or problem in the out-flow of my urine. Is there any side effect of regular in-take of BP, Sugar, cholesterol reduction medicines and causing this problem in my Prostate. I take regularly Amlopress-5 , Gluconorm-G-2, Cardace-H-5, Ecosprin-AV-75, Atorva-5.

Or should I take any precaution to stop further enlargement of my Prostate.

What is your best advise ,

Hello once again XXXXXXX

Sorry for the delay.

Unfortunately there is no medication to reduce the size of the prostate once it is enlarged. The only treatment options are to surgically resect part of it or use medications only to treat the symptoms of an enlarged prostate.

No sir, there is no effects of the BP, diabetic medication, cholesterol medication that have an effect on your prostate. The enlargement of the prostate is purely age-related. It has no other triggering factor.

Unfortunately, there are no precautions either sir. The further enlargement of the prostate, is inevitable. Which is why I recommended a TURP in my first response sir. Do not worry about this procedure, it is a minor procedure, which has a recovery time of 2-5 days maximum. You should be up and about in no time.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further information sir. I would be happy to help you.

Best wishes.