What is the treatment for fluid filled plugged ear with unbearable pressure?

I was diagnosed with shingles on 12/18 and took an antiviral for 7 days. My rash has almost completely disappeared with some lingering pain in my left side (site of rash). I had a sore throat and congestion at the same time and was diagnosed with strep throat on 12/23. I have been taking keflex for this and will finish out my 7 day treatment tomorrow. My main complaint is a plugged right ear with pressure that is unbearable for 8 days. It was checked on Wednesday and is not infected. It is just full of fluid, the doctor could see bubbles and said I had eustachian tube dysfunction. I have been doing flonase nasal spray twice a day and have tried claritin, sudafed, and mucinex with none of them helping my ear. The pressure cleared for about 12 hours on Friday night then came back yesterday. Does this mean it is getting better? What can I do to drain my ear? Is an EarPopper device recommended and should I follow up with a ENT dr or take more antibiotics? I have also had a headache on the left side which could be the shingles lingering or sinus issues. Would an oral steroid help?
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Hello, With all those symptoms your tube still seems blocked.I think before steroids a try should be give to serratiopeptidase.This can effectively relieve inflammation and open up the tube.Try steam inhalation as many time as possible(4-5 times a day).No need of antibiotics at the moment.Watch for fever or tenderness over the ear.In those cases antibiotics would be needed.Also hold on earpopper device till then. Surely get a follow up with ENT doctor. Hope this answers your question.Please ask if there are doubts. Regards.