What is the treatment for flu with excessive saliva?

I have had the flu for the last four days and have had excessive saliva for the last day or so. If I choose to swallow the saliva I get sick and vomit. How do I stop this excessive saliva?
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: It's due to sinus or Parotid gland infection Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. The excessive saliva is apparently due to associated sinus infection as part of your flu. Firstly, in order to PINPOINT the exact cause of your problems; give you a SOUND professional advice; and, TRUE VALUE FOR YOUR MONEY, may I request you to kindly provide additional information as follows :- * Do you have any swelling over the cheeks/in front of the ear on one/both sides? ( Inflammation of Parotid glands (called Viral Parotitis or Mumps)- which produce saliva- occurs commonly with flu and the treatment for the same is entirely different (anti-viral therapy for 7-10 days). * What is the color of saliva :watery, white, yellow, greenish of dark brownish? A yellow/greenish/brownish saliva means bacterial infection, which will require a 5-7 days' course of antibiotics. * Do you have nasal stuffiness, blocked nose or nasal discharge; irritation in the throat; headache in front of the head? * Presence of fever with pain in the entire body? In the meanwhile- pending receipt of additional information- you may take anti-histaminic drug, such as, cetirizine thrice daily; paracetamol 500mg thrice daily; steam inhalation through the nose (which will reduce saliva formation); and, N-acetylcysteine thrice daily to liquefy the secretions in the sinuses and thereby facilitate its flow. The excessive saliva will stop ONLY WHEN THE ENTIRE SECRETIONS FLOWW OUT AND SINUSES ARE CLEAR. Saline gargles (with 4spoons of salt in a glass of hot water) 3-4 times daily will have significant soothing effect in the throat. Lastly, do not swallow the saliva, but spit it out. There is no other safe treatment for reducing saliva formation. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Keenly awaiting the additional information. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: What is the treatment for flu with excessive saliva? 6 minutes later
Doctor, Thank you for your reply. To answer your questions 1. No there is no swelling 2. It is watery 3. No I have nasal stuffiness 4. I had body aches from the flu but have since subsided .
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Take treatment as advised below Detailed Answer: Hi there, In that case, just continue with an anti-histaminic drug + paracetamol (which will reduce saliva production) + steam inhalation through the nose AND, saline gargles AS ALREADY ADVISED. Please note that flu is a viral condition which has no specific treatment. Your symptoms will reduce with the drugs advised, but may persist for another 2-3 days. I will be happy to answer further clarifications, if any. Have a speedy recovery, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal