What is the treatment for fever with cold and fatigue?

I think I have the flu. I have had fevers, chills, running and congested nose, coughing, weakness and achy muscles, tired, and sore throat. My phlegm is ranging from yellow to bloody and I have been coughing it up in chunks. I've been resting, drinking tea and taking Advil. Is there anything else I should do? I also vomited once, and prior to these symptoms had intestinal pain. I think I also might have a bladder infection because I've experience frequent urination and spotting in my urine.
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: definitely sounds like the flu Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Your symptoms do sound like the flu.The blood would occur because of the inflammation of the respiratory tract due to the virus. Rest, the use of copious fluids and pain medication for any muscle or joint pain is appropriate. In addition , you should consider the use of : (1) decongestants to help with the congested nose. These are available over the counter, it can come combined with antihistamines which would also be helpful (2)the use of antiseptic/pain reducing sprays , gargles or lozenges would also be helpful. Examples are chloroseptic, covonia (3)a mucolytic would decrease the thickness of the mucus so that it would come up easier. Examples are bisolvan/mucomyst/robotussin/hytuss These may also be available over the counter, sometimes they may be available combined with the decongestant and antihistamine The bladder infection could cause the frequent urination, vomiting (though can also occur with the flu), blood in the urine. This is treated by using a lot of fluids, cranberry juice and antibiotics prescribed by your doctor. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions