What is the treatment for excessive dryness and chapping of lips with recurring herpes?

Dermatologist
Question
My lips are really bad, I ha exfoliating, irritation, swollen, sometimes bleeding, the most effected is the bottom lip, I had herpes before 3 years ago, I treated myself but I damaged my lips that time with iodine and peroxide water, the skin is so sensitive, I can not laugh not even talk much because lips feel so tight. Now I am applying Vaseline (white petroleum jelly). I notice a little red points at the bottom lips right at the center, and also I notice something is moving under my skin, maybe is related a virus herpes or something else. WHAT TREATMENT IS THE APPROPIATE FOR THIS CONDITION?
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Recurrent herpes Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. Now you have two problems. One is the excessive dryness and chapping of lips. And the second problem is that of recurrent development of herpes infection. Now from the description provided, it looks like you are again going to develop herpes. See as soon as you begin with the initial symptoms of a new infection, you should start with a course of oral antivirals. This course helps in bringing down the recurrence of the infection time and again. Also apply a topical antibiotic cream over the affected area when there is an outbreak. Now once the herpes heals up completely, I would advise you to use a topical steroid cream like cortisone over the lips once a day along with Vaseline cream for atleast a week continuously so as to heal the lips. But remember that after the healing of herpes only, you have to start with cortisone cream application . Keep a gap of atleast three to four days after complete healing. Also keep the lips moisturized as much as possible. I am sure cortison cream will be a great help. Also apply a sunscreen over the lips also along with the face while going out in the sun. Direct sunlight also exacerbates the problem of excessive dryness and also it precipitated recurrent episodes of herpes. Hope it helps Please ask if you have any other query Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: What is the treatment for excessive dryness and chapping of lips with recurring herpes? 1 hour later
Hi Dr. Greetika XXXXXXX Can I use Synalar fluocinolone 0.025 ointment as a cortisone cream? Or which one do you recommend? I am applying clobetasol ointment o.5% for a lesion in the vagina (vulva) that Gynecologist prescribe, can I use this ointment for my lips? I would like to let you know that even I dont have any outbreak I always have a few red points like red vesículas and never get rid of them. I like to mention that I suffer of hot flushes and everytime i am using the PC or if I am near any electronic machine that works with electricity I feel my nerve system altered, sometimes when i go to bed I feel something is pushing me from inside out that makes my body shake, do you think this could be related to herpes virus or something else? Most of the time I look tense, nervous

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Dryness of lips Detailed Answer: Hi again You can use fluocinolone ointment over the lips but apply it only once a day.But you cannot use clobetasol anywhere over the face. As far as the red spots are concerned, I think you tend to develop recurrent allergic reactions over the lips. Since you basically have a sensitive skin, so such tendencies are quite common. Application of the cream will be of help. For the other symptoms that you have, these do not seem to be related to herpes. I would advise you to see a physician for the same. Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: What is the treatment for excessive dryness and chapping of lips with recurring herpes? 8 hours later
Thank you for your response. Can you please tell which is the best treatment for CHEILITIS GLANDULARIS according to picture this is how my lips look like

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Cheilitis glandularis Detailed Answer: Hi again If you suspect this skin condition, then I would advise you to see a nearby dermatologist. Cheilitis glandularis is a chronic skin disease and needs long term treatment. Most of the Times, it is very important to confirm the diagnosis with a skin biopsy before starting any treatment. The treatment for this skin condition is mostly in the form of steroids which can be given either topically for application or as injections or even oral steroids can be given. Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: What is the treatment for excessive dryness and chapping of lips with recurring herpes? 6 hours later
Today i took valacyclovir tab 1000. 2 tab in the morning and 2 tab afternoon, It was nearly a breakout (herpes), feeling tingling sensation and something moving under the thin skin of my lips, i also apply synalar ointment, hope this improve the condition. Thank dear Doctor dor your advises

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Antivirals dose Detailed Answer: I am sure this treatment will help in improving you skin problem. But just a correction. You should take valacyclovir 1000 mg one tablet twice a day for five days. This is the correct adult dosage for your problem. Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: What is the treatment for excessive dryness and chapping of lips with recurring herpes? 18 minutes later
Thank you so much for your help. I live in cold weather and in 2 days i have to teavel South (lima-Peru) where the uvv us extremily high, which protection would beappropiate for my lips??

Brief Answer: Sunscreen application Detailed Answer: You should use a sunscreen with spf of atleast 26. Now the method of application is equally important. Apply it atleast 20 minutes before sun exposure.Reapply the sunscreen every three hours if you tend to stay out in the sun. Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: What is the treatment for excessive dryness and chapping of lips with recurring herpes? 5 hours later
Hi dear Doctor, thankyou for your response. How can I wash my lips after meals?

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Lip Care Detailed Answer: You can simply use plain water. Or at the most, you can use non alcohol skin wipes. But make should make sure that you apply hardliners a moisturizer soon after. Dr Geetika Paul