What is the treatment for endometrial polyp?

Question
Hi I had an ultrasound and was diagnosed with a 15mm wet tissue mass endometrial polyp? can the ultrasound definately confirm it is this or could it be more serious. I have also been getting bad backache which is affecting pelvic area and knees. Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Hello.

Giving a confirmatory diagnosis of uterine polyp on ultrasound scan is quite difficult. It is very unlikely to see the origin of the polyp unless the uterine cavity is filled with blood or some fluid.

To confirm such a diagnosis hysteroscopy is the best option where then uterine cavity is visualised directly. Alternatively, Hysterosalpingography (HSG) can also be helpful where a filling defect is seen.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.

Follow-up: What is the treatment for endometrial polyp? 27 minutes later
HI THANKS FOR YOUR INFORMATION. JUST TO MENTION THERE WAS SOME FLUID ROUND THE POLYP ON THE ULTRASOUND AND ALSO MY ENDOMETRIAL LINING WAS QUITE THICK ACCORDING TO THE SONOGRAPHER. BECAUSE OF MY AGE WILL THEY DO FURTHER TESTS? THANKS XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 49 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

You must take the further tests like endometrial biopsy and removal of the polyp as sometimes these polyps may show an irregular growth leading to irregular bleeding episodes.
Specially at 45 years of age, you are more prone to irregular bleeds.

Hope I have answered your query completely.

Wish you an early recovery.