What is the treatment for emphysema in upper and lower lobes?

My consultant said the emphysema is in upper and lower lobes, still on brown, blue and spireev handihaler! Still have difficulty using stairs even eating makes me breathless, since all this started I have now lost a stone and a half when all I'm eating now is a handful of grapes a day. I feel frustrated as I'm being told by GP it's nothing too bad. Yet consultant basically said your on your way out!
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Aggravating factors to your emphysema & symptoms.. Detailed Answer: Hi my dear, Thank you for sharing your concern with XXXXXXX I read your medical history carefully and feel sorry for the situation you are in. At the same time, I am glad to come to know that you are taking proper treatment while using Spiriva Handihaler (a bronchodilatator) together with Ventolin as per your history. Being diagnosed with emphysema needs to get a long treatment although symptoms you might have. They will vanish with time until disappear. Please take note that your condition might be aggravated when you have flu (viral infection) or even common cold. I'd suggest not to rush when doing your daily activities (including eating or climbing the stairs) as you will get your lungs under stress leading to further constriction and aggravating the symptoms. I am also glad to come to know that your doctor told "it is not too bad" according to physical examination and chest X-ray. Being stressed out and frustrated will also aggravate your symptoms. In addition, hysterectomy is associated with hormonal changes that can also aggravate the symptoms. Get more rest, drink more plain water and keep regular following ups with your physicians! Wish a fast recovery! Dr.Alba