Ask a Dentist   »  

What is the treatment for elective mandibular tori?

What is the risk/ procedure/ pain of an elective mandibular tori on an otherwise healthy age 41 woman? I never had problems with XXXXXXX til last week. Because of my bruxism the left one grew a pointy bud the pokes under my tongue all the time and gives me anxiety (its like having popcorn kernal or dental floss constantly struck in teeth). Yesterday dentist made occlusal guard and thinks my mouth looks great, taught me TMJ exercises. He doesnt think the XXXXXXX look bad enough and said wait 5-10 years. Also said to wait because if i only noticed in last week to wait, but that surgery is easier that tooth extraction. Yikes. I've only had a few fillings and braces now I'm really scared of the risks of being put under.
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Dipti Singh 2 hours later
Brief Answer: No risk, The surgery is a very small procedure. Detailed Answer: Hello, XXXXX Thank you for asking your query with Healthcaremagic This is Dr. Dipti Singh here to answer your query. As you are mentioning that you are having a mandibular tori there is nothing to worry about it , as it is a normal finding in mouth and it occurs in 30% of healthy people. There is no need to go for any surgery for the XXXXXXX till it creates any problem. In your case now you are experiencing discomfort in your tongue , so now a small surgery in needed, it is just a small procedure, in which slight grinding of the bone which is growing is done with suturing of the flap. The procedure is performed under Local Anesthesia. So there is nothing to take stress, just be relaxed and continue with the procedure as your dentist has prescribed. Hope it will help you. Thank you Regards Dr. Dipti Singh
Follow-up: What is the treatment for elective mandibular tori? 19 minutes later
Thank Dr. XXXXXXX :) That helps a lot. What exactly is Local Anesthesia? I haven't had a. surgery since age 12. Is it just painkiller or do you have to be awake when they grind? I apologize for my hypochondriac question.
Answered by Dr. Dipti Singh 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can be put to sleep if you wish for... Detailed Answer: Hello, XXXX In Local Anesthesia, only that area will become numb and the patient will be awake, but she will not feel anything. If you wish, you will be put into sleep which will keep you relaxed during the procedure. In general Anesthesia, the patient will be unconscious and all muscles paralysed as the procedure is performed. But it is not needed in your case. Thank you Regards Dr. Dipti Singh