What is the treatment for dry cough, mild headache, running nose and occasional erratic heart beat?

Hi, I have been fighting a cold or flu for about three weeks now. Symptoms: - Persistent coughing, caused by phelm deep in my chest. Sometimes even trying to talk would trigger dry coughs. I have been using Nyquil for over a week now to get a decent night's sleep. The phelm is clear/white. - Mild headache sometimes. Low level muscle pain. Slight running nose. - No fever. - Fatique, low energy level, tires easily. - Appetite is about normal, but I've lost 5 pounds. - Occasional erratic heartbeat that seems to be associated with the coughs. I have no heart conditions otherwise. Should I continue to wait this out?? Thanks XXXX
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Hello, Three weeks pretty long for common cold , I think you should get investigated for this. A chest xray , routine blood investigation and a EKG should be undertaken for your current symptoms.These investigations will help to decide whether more active treatment is needed and is there any underlying cardiac pathology as well. Importantly try steam inhalation few times a day this can help clear the cough/phlegm from chest Hope this proves helpful. Please ask if there are doubts.Regards
Follow-up: What is the treatment for dry cough, mild headache, running nose and occasional erratic heart beat? 36 minutes later
Is it possible that I have a case of bronchitis? Should I get some antibiotics? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes Detailed Answer: Yes, bronchitis is one possibility , but chronic cough, weight loss and easy tiredness arise suspicion of tuberculosis as well.So its better to get few primary investigations done. Or if you are not keen on getting investigations done then a empirical treatment with antibiotics can be tried to see if symptoms resolve.If they persist then you will need to consider getting investigations done Regards