What is the treatment for cut on leg due to dishwater?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I bumped into the dishwasher which is edged with brass which is sharp. I have a cut on my leg which i believe has now stopped bleeding. It's not necessary to go the hospital tonight is it. the metal does not appear to be rusty. i have not had a recent tetnus shot. YYYY@YYYY
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: No need to go to ER. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. If the cut had stopped bleeding then you do not need to attend the ER. You do not need a tetanus shot for this type of injury. I suggest you put a sterile dressing on the wound and change it daily. Paracetamol and ibuprofen will help if you have suffered bruising. Over the next few days, you may develop a spreading bruise. Do not be alarmed, this will settle. I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB. FRCA.
Follow-up: What is the treatment for cut on leg due to dishwater? 3 minutes later
It took a good half hr to stop bleeding and it stopped mainly because i put 2 band aids on it! It was hard to see how deep wound is and i didn't want to pry into and make it bleed more
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can stay at home. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for the additional information. I still consider you can avoid a visit to the ER. However, if you are worried, you may wish to have the reassurance of a doctor being able to examine the wound. In which case you would need to go to the ER. Regards, Dr K A Pottinget