What is the treatment for cough and cold in pregnancy?

Mar 2016

Hello Doctor, Hope you are doing good. Yesterday I e-mailed for a prescription suggestion for my My Wife XXXXXXX currently 15 week pregnant who is having Cold & Cough still last 3 days. My wife's cold is currently fine but can you please suggest a Cough Syrup for her Thanks in advanceā€¦
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 3 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your additional query. During pregnancy period, cough syrup is usually not recommended until cold and cough is continuous or severe. Home remedies and anti histamine group of drugs (after 12 weeks) are preferred first line treatment for the same. As she is currently fine from cold and cough, I personally don't think that she needs additional cough syrup for that if she follows my earlier home remedies. However, cough syrup like ROBITUSSIN DM (Dextromethorphan and Guaifenesin) etc can be taken for short term only as safety is uncertain during pregnancy. It is better to consult with her obstetrician for proper prescription and doses after clinical evaluation. Hope, I have answered your query. For any other query, you can revert back me. Wish her good health and safe motherhood. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW