What is the treatment for continuous pain and tenderness in arm while suffering from bursitis along with medial epicondylitis in both arms?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello, my name is XXXXXXX I am 56 years old. Since December of 2012 I have been dealing with lateral epicondylitis. It worsened by March so my Primary care physician referred me to an Orthopedic surgeon. I had two cortisone shots with no improvement and continued to work my job as a dental assistant. By August he sent me for an MRI, which showed scarring and degenerative tissue and recommended a fasciotomy in the right elbow. Surgery was Sept 6. Started PT in October. then developed bursitis in right elbow along with medial epicondylitis in both arms. I have done the pt thru pain and inflammation. My arm now is chronically sore and tender, and doing the most basic tasks such as washing,drying my hair, teeth brushing make it even worse. I have gotten some mobility back, I see the surgeon on tues. He seems frustrated since he told me I'd be back at work in 6 weeks. He also said if I was no better he wants to give me another cortisone shot which I don't think is an answer. There has to be a reason for this continued pain and tenderness. My pt says its where the tendon and the bone meet. I expected improvement by now and I am worse than before the surgery. Could I also have radial tunnel syndrome? thank you in advance.
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Cubital tunnel syndrome more likely. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Since you have a medial epicondylitis now a cubital tunnel syndrome is more likely. A radial tunnel syndrome is associated with lateral epicondylitis. You may ask your orthopedician to order a test called electromyography, a procedure in which electrodes placed into muscles and on the skin measure the health of muscles and the nerve cells that control them, to confirm the diagnosis, identify the area of nerve damage, and determine the severity of the condition. To control the pain and inflammation taking a cortisone shot will help in bringing a short term relief. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What is the treatment for continuous pain and tenderness in arm while suffering from bursitis along with medial epicondylitis in both arms? 1 hour later
Thank you Doctor, I will follow up after my followup with surgeon on tuesday
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: You are welcome. Detailed Answer: Do keep me informed about your progress. Wishing you an early trouble free recovery. Regards.