What is the treatment for complex lesion in spleen and parapelvic cyst?

Hi, Can you explain a little more about this result. My Dr doesn't seem at all concerned. Trying not to panic but is freaking me out a little. There is a complex lesion in the spleen measuring 1.0 x 0.9 0.9 cm. . There is no hydronephrosis. There is a simple left lower pole parapelvic cyst which measures 1.4 x 0.9 x 1.0 cm. Conclusion - Hypoechoic splenic lesion, complex cyst versus hemangioma. Advise a follow-up examination in 3-6 months for stability. What is a complex cyst and the lession? Is this something that should be biopsied or have an MRI? Would you advise the same course of action as in waiting 6 months to check? Also are cysts on spleens quiet common? Thx for your time.
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please follow the suggestions below... Detailed Answer: Hi, I read carefully your medical history and understood your concern. Before running to the answers, I'd gently ask you to send in the reports of your ultrasound or other tests you performed. That will help me assist you further! Now, based on the data you provided, please find the answers as following: - The complex cyst refers to a mass inside your spleen of various causes: infection, tumors, trauma, etc. The lesion or the cyst reported in your spleen was cited as hemangioma, a benign tumor of the blood vessels of the spleen. So, there is nothing to be terrified in here. - If hemangioma is suspected, biopsy cannot be carried out to prevent severe hemorrhage. Please bare in mind that the spleen is the largest store of the blood in our body, so, even biopsy can cause serious bleeding. MRI can be carried out; however, it depends on the doctor who visited you. He/she will judge based on your medical history, your symptoms or other tests you ran before asking to go for a MRI. - If I was your caring doctor would ask to have a look to all the tests you ran and symptoms you have before deciding for the treatment. - The cysts of the spleen are quiet common in my clinical practice. Furthermore, your cyst has a small size which keeps you far away from complications. The most problematic cysts seen are those of large dimensions (>5cm) as there exists the possibility of rupture and severe bleeding. While in your case, such possibility is very low (quiet 0). Looking forward to the have all your tests results in! Dr.Klerida
Follow-up: What is the treatment for complex lesion in spleen and parapelvic cyst? 21 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. What does it mean when it says "Complex cyst versus hemangioma"? Is a complex cyst more XXXXXXX or still benign? The find just came up in a regular ultra sound. I am in good health otherwise.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Please follow the suggetions below... Detailed Answer: Hi again, Thank you for writing back. I am glad to know that you are in good health. The ultrasound description is referring to the differential diagnosis of the cyst noticed in the ultrasound. As mentioned earlier, complex cyst refers to infection, tumors, or any benign cause. While, haemangioma is benign tumor related to the blood vessels. So, time is needed to determine whether is a complex cyst or confirmed haemangioma. I would like to ask if you have done other abdominal ultrasound before and if this cyst has been exist ? Hope it answered to your question! Dr.Klerida
Follow-up: What is the treatment for complex lesion in spleen and parapelvic cyst? 5 hours later
No i havent had any other ultrasounds in the past
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Please follow the suggestions below.. Detailed Answer: Hi again If this is the first abdominal ultrasound you should repeat it after three months . If after three month cyst will change in size and echogenicity you need to perform an MRI. Hope it answer your query. If you have other concerns I will be glad to answer you. Wishing you health. Dr.Klerida