What is the treatment for cold,chest congestipn,wheezing and cough in a child?

I am an RN . My 1 year old has developed cold virus and is congested and mild wheezing, coughing. I am an asthmatic so i have ventolin puffers and i have pulmicort inhalation nebules (0.5 mg/ml (1 mg/2ml ampoule)and ipratropium bromide/salbutalmol 0.5 mg/2.5 mg/2.5 ml(nebule). He is 23 lbs in weight. what is best to give him. thanks
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: salbutamol nebulisation is best for him. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks and welcome to XXXXXXX For your child Salbutamol nebulisation is best. because of family history of Asthma and wheezing followed viral infection. You may also give him antihistamine drug like cetrizine in addition to Salbutamol . Usually there will be immediate relief If not, you need to see a pediatrician for confirmation of the diagnosis and further management . Hope this reply will suit to your purpose. Please feel free to ask further queries if needed. Regards.
Follow-up: What is the treatment for cold,chest congestipn,wheezing and cough in a child? 3 hours later
How much Ventolin ampule should I give him with his weight of 23 lbs. I gave him saline mask only and ventolin with aerochamber (only had adult aerochamber). Thanks Merry Christmas
Answered by Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 31 hours later
Brief Answer: Salbutal 0.15mg/kg body weight as nebulisation. Detailed Answer: Hi, If you give SALBUTAMOL BY NEBULISATION the dose is 0.15 mg/kg body weight. Your baby weighs approximately 10 kg. SALBUTAMOL RESPULE usually CONTAINS 2.5 mg/2.5 ml. Consider the respules contain 2.5mg/2.5ml, we give 1.5ml of respule along with 2.5ml of normal saline through nebulizer. If you to give by inhalation route you give one puff 100 micro grames into a spacer and connect the spacer to a baby face mask and let the baby breathe. I have provided the above information considering the above mentioned respule dosage. Check with the treating doctor/pharmacist before using the same dose. Hope this explanation is sufficient . Please feel free to ask further queries if any. Dr.M.V.Subrahmanyam.