What is the treatment for clogged ear due to sinus?

I have sinus pressure and my ears are plugged up. I have no fever or pain. How do I unplug my ears?
Posted Wed, 22 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam , Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your query I will like to tell you that in my opinion Clogged or plugged ears happens when there is blockage in the Eustachian tube , in your case it seems to be due to sinusitis as you mention you are having sinus pressure . Steam Inhalation is highly recommended . Yawning helps open the Eustachian tube , Suck on Chewing Gum it may also lead to open up the blockage . Valsalva manoeuvre is the most helpful technique .Close your mouth and also your nose while exhaling strongly. it will open the eustachian tube and the pressure inside and outside the ear is equalized. I will advise you to see an ENT surgeon also so that your sinusitis can be treated with decongestants and antibiotics otherwise blockage in ear will result again and again as the root cause needs to be treated . Take care. Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: What is the treatment for clogged ear due to sinus? 11 hours later
Would using ice packs on the face help to reduce sinus swelling? I've tried heat and it didn't help at all.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Using ice packs is not going to help you , First you take a decongestant then when your nose and sinus open up take steam so that will circulate the hot air in sinuses and clear them up . With such problem I think you will require a course of antibiotics . Dr. Shruti