What is the treatment for chronic constipation?

Hi From childhood i have problem in excreting the waste (motion) Daily i face the same problem, only one a week i will be able to do.
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Drink lots of water and take fibre rich food.... Detailed Answer: Hi, From what I understand, you are suffering with chronic constipation and you are unable to pass stool every day and that you have stools once a week. If this is a case, then some doctors would rate you as suffering from severe constipation and needs evaluation including colonoscopy. I would start you on isphagula husk powder 1tsp at night and add 1 banana at night for stool bulk forming / stool softening properties. Besides these, I would suggest you to take fibre rich diet (green leafy vegetables, fruits, whole grain cereals) and exercise every day. These life style changes would improve your stool habits. If needed you might be put on laxatives such as Lactulose formula at night under moderation. You can start the aforementioned options as you plan to visit a gastroenterologist for evaluation (colonoscopy). Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards