What is the treatment for child suffering from high fever and sore throat?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My 5 year old daughter had a low fever of 99.5 on 01/20/14; in addition, to vomiting, and a sore throat (no coughing). That went away after that day. Now 01/24/14 she has a fever of 104.6, a headache, & sore throat (still no coughing). I gave her ibuprofen and that reduced her fever to 101.3 within 30 minutes. My questions are, how high is a fever to high were I need to bring her into the ER & what is the maximum time limit to wait on the fever reducing meds. to kick-in? I dont want to rely on the fever reducers, if i should be rushing her to the ER. Thank you for your assistance with this matter.
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Need throat swab for strep and flu Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing to health care magic. Fever is body's response to any infection. Body tries to kill pathogens by raising the temperature. Usually viral fever lasts for 3 to 5 days during which you can wait safely giving fever reducing medicines. But in your kids case , she already had sore throat 4 days ago. It's better to get her throat swab tested for strep as well as flu. Fever above 104 is high grade. Your daughter may need Antibiotics or antivirals depending on her reports. I would say it is better to get her tested in a day or two, earlier the better Till then you can give her fever reducing medicines. Wishing your kid speedy recovery Regards Dr Arun
Follow-up: What is the treatment for child suffering from high fever and sore throat? 20 hours later
Hello- i took her to the ER today and they did a strep and flu test. Bot came back negative; however, the doctors doubt the vilidity of the rapid strep test and they placed her on a 10 day amoxcicillin regimen. Is it common for step tests not to be accrurate? Thanks for your response earlier. h
Answered by Dr. Arun 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes sometimes the rapid tests can be negative Detailed Answer: Hi Yes sometimes the rapid strep tests can be negative falsely. It's better to treat when there is a strong clinical suspicion of strep infection , which is exactly the same in your kids case. Continue the course recommended. Wishing her great health Dr Arun
Follow-up: What is the treatment for child suffering from high fever and sore throat? 33 hours later
Hello again- My daughter is still running fevers between 102- 104. The fever reducers are working, but as soon as they wear off her fever is back. I noticed a new symtom this morning, shes having a hard time swallowing. She has had 2 doses of the amoxicillan & 8 more to go. She was seen at the ER on 1/24/14 & i brought her to her pediatrician 1/25/14. Considering her fever wont stay down on its own and this new symptom with her swallowing, im concerned. Shes not vomiting. She ate yesurday and has been using the bathroom. Do you have any helpful sugestions, im not sure what to do at this point?
Answered by Dr. Arun 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Needs more time Detailed Answer: Hi, Throat infection will result in difficulty in swallowing. You need to complete the course. You can give her fever reducers ( with ibuprofen if not already on to decrease the pain ) Try betadine gargles twice a day to help in soothing the throat. Make sure she doesn't eat sweets or chocolates. Give her plenty of liquids to drink, if solids are difficult. Don't worry it will improve soon. Regards,