What is the treatment for catarrah?

I seem to have permanent catarrh, sometimes worse than others and I find it difficult to swallow sometimes which makes me panic. I have been like this my whole life (53 years old) but it seems to be getting worse. Any ideas?
G Craven
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 58 minutes later

When the membranes of the throat and nose and irritated, such as after a cold, excess mucus can form. In some people it is more than others. Most commonly it is seen in association with allergic disorders.

You may use nasal sprays containing antihistaminics or corticosteroids but these are to be taken under prescription. If you have fever or the cough is worsening then you may need a course of antibiotics as well.

However the best treatment for catarrah is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the buildup of mucus in your nose. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water helps a lot. Other than that, avoid eating indigestible, spicy, foods and meats and eat simple wholesome foods. Out-of-door exercise, sunbaths also help a lot.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow ups.

Follow-up: What is the treatment for catarrah? 1 hour later
Do you think I could have anything more serious to worry about, and should I go and see my doctor or just try the steam inhalation?

At the moment I wake up every day and during the night with a really bad blocked nose, but it is the horrible blockage in my throat that is the worst, and very embarrassing when I am constantly trying to clear it.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

The blockage in your throat is the result of excessive nasal secretions only and steam inhalation will alleviate your symptoms to a large extent.

Still you can consult your specialist to rule out any superadded infection which might need antibiotics for treatment.

Sincerely hope it will help.

Wishing you an early recovery.