What is the treatment for bump on face which got swollen after squeezing pus out?

Dermatologist
Question
I had a bump on my face and thought it was a pimple so I tried popping it and nothing really came out, but it might have been an ingrown hair... now its swollen. I squeezed some pus out so I know its infected.
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Infected papule face Detailed Answer: Hi, From your description, it looks like you have developed an infected lesion over the face. First of all, you shouldavoid touching it. Do not squeeze it as it leads to increased chances of scarring at later stages. Just clean the affected area with a mild diluted antiseptic lotion twice a day. Apply a topical antibiotic cream like neosporin or mupirocin over the affected area twice a day. Do not apply any other oils or creams over it. Use a sunscreen over the face and especially over the lesion before going out in the sun. This will decrease the chances of pigmentation at a later stage. Now if inspite of the above management for three to four days, the lesions still persists, then you might need a course of oral antibiotics. Hope it helps If you have any other query, please ask. Dr Geetika Paul. Dr Geetika Paul.

Follow-up: What is the treatment for bump on face which got swollen after squeezing pus out? 7 minutes later
It was swollen since last night and that was the first time I squeezed it and I have been putting rubbing alcohol and peroxide on it, is that okay or no? There's no pain but its almost as big as when my wisdom teeth came out but just on one side. I'm in the military so I can't see a doctor until Monday morning, but the on base doctors I don't really trust them. Should I just ask them for some amoxicillin or something?

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Oral antibiotics Detailed Answer: Hi again The first thing is that you should not rub alcohol over it. It will further irritate the lesion more and lead to more swelling. Just clean it as advised. Now since the lesion has already increased a lot, you surely need a course of oral antibiotics. You can either take tablet azithromycin 500 mg once a day for five days. The second alternative is tablet amoxicillin and clavulinic acid combination 625 mg twice a day for five days. You can take whichever is available. But you should apply the prescribed cream over the lesion also. It will help. Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: What is the treatment for bump on face which got swollen after squeezing pus out? 6 minutes later
Thank you so much for the medical advice its better than what I would've got from my doctor. I will still see him on Monday but for now I'll do what you said. Thanks again and have a good one, bye.

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Best wishes Detailed Answer: You are most welcome. Wishing you speedy recovery Dr Geetika Paul