What is the treatment for bruising around inner elbow?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi I had a bad fall 5 days ago and have very hurt my arm . bad bruising around the inner elbow area. I elevated put ice compressions etc . the swelling is subsiding and bruising turning yellow but have a useless arm as heavy and painful .
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: You need an Xray of the injured area. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX An Xray of the injured area is needed to rule out any underlying bony injury (fracture). Bruising and swelling are due to the formation of Hematoma (blood clot) at the site of injury with associated soft tissue inflammation in that area. The general treatment guidelines for your condition are as follows - - Protect the injured area from further injury by using a support or splint - Rest the injured joint . Avoid any activity that produces pain - Apply ice wrapped in a damp towel to the injured area for 15 to 20 minutes every two to three hours during the day - Use an elastic compression bandage around the injured area to limit any swelling and movement that could damage it further. It should be wrapped snugly around the affected area but not so tightly that it restricts blood flow. - Keep the injured area raised and supported on a pillow to help reduce swelling. - Gentle massaging of the painful area with a painkiller cream will be helpful - Oral anti-inflammatory medications (such as Aleve or Motrin) can help relieve symptoms of pain and also calms the inflammation. If you don't find any relief with the above measures, consult an orthopedic surgeon for a detailed clinical examination and further management. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards
Follow-up: What is the treatment for bruising around inner elbow? 7 hours later
Thank you that has been most helpful. I have been treating the injury as you describe. I will continue for a couple of days and if little or no improvement with get an x ray.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Please do follow the instructions given. Detailed Answer: Hi, Nice to hear from you. Hopefully you should get well soon and I wish you a speedy recovery. You are welcome for any more suggestions. Good luck