What is the treatment for bruised toe nails?

I wore a new pair of shoes about 3 months ago for 1/2 day to work. As a result I have two very bruised big toenails that don't seem to be getting any better - even after 3 months. What can I do?
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please upload the photo of your bruised toenail... Detailed Answer: Hi, Before running into conclusions, I'd kindly ask to upload the photo of the affected toenails. Meanwhile, I'd suggest not to wear those shoes for a while until the toenail is improved. Frequent trauma does not permit the toenail to get healed. In addition, you should look for signs of infection as the bruising site could have been infected. You should apply cold compresses to the affected area and keep your feet well cleaned and ventilated to get healed. Looking forward to kindly have the requested photo! Thank you! Dr.Alba
Follow-up: What is the treatment for bruised toe nails? 7 hours later
I have not worn those shoes again since that day in early October. I will send a picture of my toes to this email address.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Need time for the toenails to grow back.... Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. I have seen your reports and noticed a severe damage/bruised to your big toenails. This is normal after wearing the tight shoes. I did notice any sign of infection or other complication. Usually, in such cases, you should've apply cold/ice compresses on the affected area (toenail and its lining) to avoid bruising to appear. You should have patience and wait for the toenail to grow as it might take more time to grow (up to 6 or 9 months). Until now, it has passed only 3 months. Meanwhile, you should wear open shoes to avoid further damage. Hope it answered to your query! Dr.Alba