What is the treatment for bone spurs on left knee?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have 3 bone spurs on my left knee. Why and how to I get them and what can be done to eliminate them? Pain meds just seem to damage other organs in my body.
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Surgical treatment will help. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. A bone spur which is a tiny pointed outgrowth of bone is usually caused by local inflammation, such as from degenerative arthritis or tendonitis. Recurrent injury can also cause bone spurs to develop in the knee joint. I did not find any serious concern from your history to explain why you got them; perhaps it may be the same degenerative process that may have affected your knee leading to replacement. Anti-inflammatory medications are administered both orally and by local injection (Kenalog, Depomedrol, Celestone) to help reduce the inflammation. Local measures, such as hot fomentation use of elastic knee brace avoiding injury to the area application of local analgesic gel, might be considered. However if the bone spurs is causing irritation of nerves and are resistant to conservative measures can require surgical operations for treatment. Your orthopedician by his clinical judgement can decide whether or not you require surgery. If needed, you can opt for an arthroscopic removal of the spurs to have a more active life. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL