What is the treatment for blip seen on EKG?

What is the tretment for "Blip" seen on EKG what kinds of tests are done after the EKG and what kind of treatment can be done to correct this
Posted Fri, 19 Oct 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 8 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a certified and qualified cardiologist. I read your question with diligence.
EKG is surface recording of electrical changes undergoing in the heart. Blips are normally referred to the changes normally seen. I have not been able to understand your question fully. To quote a text book about blips I quote
The first little blip on the EKG is called the "P" wave. It represents the electrical trigger that causes the contraction of the atria, or upper chambers of the heart. The "P" wave is typically small, but may be larger if the right atrium is enlarged. The next wave is the QRS complex, signifying the positive and negative deflection or trigger for the contraction of the ventricles, or lower chambers of the heart. The final "T" wave represents the electrical recovery of the ventricles to their normal resting state. The "P XXXXXX"QRS XXXXXX and "T" waves signify a complete electrical pathway that takes approximately 0.6 second in a normal, healthy heart
End of quote.
Perhaps this will help you formulate the question so that I can answer. Good Luck.
With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: What is the treatment for blip seen on EKG? 8 hours later
I want to know if this is serious, what further tests do you do when you see a "Blip" on EKG. The Dr was very concerned. What is the TREATMENT for this? A pacemaker,??this atrial fibrilation?. I do know all about the "P" wave., so my question was not answered. Please reply, thank you
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
My dear friend what is your question?
If it is blips of EKGs are being interpreted as Atrial Fibrillation:

Then the answer is as upper chamber rates that is atrial rate is irregular and high and one needs a controlled ventricular rate (say between 60-90 beats/minute). The investigation needed is HOLTER monitoring and if basal rate is generally more drugs like Diltiazem or Verapamil are the treatment. If the rate as a result of drugs to control atrial fibrillation falls then pacemaker is the treatment to have rate which is comfortable and programmable.
You can now ask the question I will be only too happy to answer.

Dr Anil Grover