Ask a Urologist   »  

What is the treatment for black specs of varying amounts and sizes in urine?

Jul 2016

My two year old daughter had black specs of varying amounts and sizes in her urine for two weeks. She showed with a low UTI (60k) but was treated with amoxicillin bc of secondary ear infection. She is now negative for UTI with culture today. She still presents with black specs. Should we go to pediatric urologist. Side note, we used IVF with a load of progesterone to get preganant.
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer: She needs to be investigated . Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that urine of your two years old daughter contains black specks and she has been treated for UTI . I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem. 1) Does she gets frequent episodes of fever suggesting UTI since her birth? 2) Does she cry while passing urine? 3) Have you noticed any puffiness of her face or oedema over feet? Passing black specks is due to clumped RBC (Red Blood Cells)in acidic urine and could be due to mild Glomerular Pathology. Please consult qualified Urologist or Nephrologist for clinical evaluation and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis and further treatment. 1) Routine urine test and culture 2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen 3) Micturating Cystogram to rule out any V.U.Reflux 4) DMSA scan (If necessary and suggested by Urologist). Further treatment will depend upon results of these tests and final diagnosis. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Follow-up: What is the treatment for black specs of varying amounts and sizes in urine? 1 hour later
She does not have high fever (even with this one and only) UTI. No puffiness/swelling of hands or feet. No other health conditions and she is enjoying good health. She doesn't complain of pain during urination but she has been a challenge to potty train In spite of high cognitive abilities. Her urinalysis was clear today. We are scheduled for ultrasound Wednesday. Should we request our pediatrician refer us to pediatric urologist or wait? Pediatrician is very competent.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Ultrasound will give you right direction Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for feedback.Ultrasound scanning will help us to guide us in directing future tests required or not., Since she has no repeated episodes of fever ,this can be considered as mild UTI which got cured with antibiotics .Taking opinion of a Paediatrician is enough to conclude her problem and whether further investigations are required or not. Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.