Ask a Urologist   »  

What is the treatment for bacterial prostatitis after sex?

Jul 2016

Hi Doctor - I tend to suffer from bacterial prostatitis after sex. Symptoms start 2-3 days after sex. I am happily married and want to enjoy a healthy sex life with my partner but the prostatitis issue is putting a dampener on everything. I am a 45 year old male who's healthy in every other way. This problem has persisted since I was 16 years old
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You need to evaluate your problem in detail. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have bacterial Prostatitis since the age of 16 years and you get repeated episodes of Prostatitis after sex . This is mainly due to the fact that the infection of the Prostate is not eradicated completely. Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination to assess the size,firmness and contour of the prostate. and get following basic tests done under his guidance 1) Routine urine test and urine culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to. 2) Ultrasound scanning of the abdomen and Scanning with Rectal probe . 3) Swab test and Culture of prostatic fluid obtained after prostate massage. In the mean while start taking broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefotaxime along with urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkaliser thrice daily.Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report. Please note that Prostatitis takes long time to get cured completely hence you may need to take antibiotics for minimum period of 3 months. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.