What is the treatment for back pain radiating to legs from herniated disc?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
No family history of hypertension. No medicine. Never had problem. Just pain. Out of work for 7 months. Hurt on job.
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 7 days later
Brief Answer: I want to know some more detail. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Before proceeding further I want to know some more detail so that I can help you in better ways. First of all, site of pain. Any radiation of pain. Any history of trauma. Elaborate the history. Also let me know your age. Awaiting your reply....
Follow-up: What is the treatment for back pain radiating to legs from herniated disc? 13 minutes later
Lower back. Herniated disc radiating down left leg. Have tried 3 epidurals, acupucture, physical therepy and a facet injection. L-5 S-1. Pain in thigh, calf ,tingling in ankle and foot. Hurt on job 7 months ago. Seems to get better then a flare up occurrs where pain unbeareable. Last flare up, i couldn't walk. No trauma, never had back pain before and i'm 63 years old. Muscle relaxers and pain killers r my meds
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 8 hours later
Brief Answer: You can go for surgery. Detailed Answer: Hi, You seem to have a prolapsed inter vertebral disc, rightly at L5S1 region as you suggested or maybe a level higher. This disc may be compressing upon a nerve root that either exits or traverses through that level. Having known this basic anatomy, you must avoid any activity that aggravates the condition, like bending forward and lifting heavy objects, sitting long hours on computer, inappropriate sitting posture, etc. There are several treatment modalities with medicines, physiotherapy and with injections in the back called epidural injections and root/facet blocks. As you are already tried these and you didn’t get better with these treatment , you can go for surgery, by which the nerves are decompressed by removing the protruded disc (discectomy), which would significantly improve your symptoms.