What is the treatment for aortic stenosis?

I am a 69 year old female in good health. I take Crestor for cholesterol which is below 200 at present. I have had a diagnosed heart murmur for 40 years or more. Two years ago, I had symptoms of light headedness three time in a single day, it frightened me and I asked my husband to take me to the hospital. My blood pressure was elevated and they were concerned about a possible heart attack. They kept me overnight, tested my blood and did an echocardiogram, they determined that I had aortic stenosis. I have been seeing a cardiologist for the past two years, have had an echo stress test and 3 other echoes. My cardiologist says I have severe aortic stenosis, but I am virtually symptom free. I need to make a decision about whether and when to have the valve replaced. I am curious about whether the fact that I am symptom free means I can postpone this surgery for some time. Thank you, XXXXXXX XXXX
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Intervention might be post-poned... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for sharing your concern with XXXXXXX I have read your medical history carefully and understood your concerns. I am happy to know that you do not have any symptom although severe aortic stenosis. If still non symptomatic, you might post-pone the intervention for later. From your past history of light headedness, it might be suggested to run coronarography to evaluate the status of blood vessels of the heart. Depending on the status of heart blood vessels, it will better decide upon scheduling the intervention. Hope it was of help! Dr.Benard