What is the treatment for a diabetic person suffering from cough and fever?

Hi doctor. My mother is diabetic and since today her caugh has raised and now fever of 102 degree. She cant able to visit physician due to felling very tired and drowsines.. plz suggest
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer....given below Detailed answer.... Hello, Thanks got the query. It looks like a viral infection and hence requires only symptomatic treatment. Viral infection becomes a little challenge in people suffering from diabetes and blood pressure because there are various ingredients in them which can adversely affect them. You should avoid products containg alcohol and sugar. For fever,the best would be to take paracetamol. Take it in dose of one tablet 6 hourly. For cold and cough you can take anypti histamines like ALLEGRA or LORATIDINE in single dose daily. Avoid decongestants like Pseudo ephedrine and phenylephrine as they can cause disturbance in blood pressure. You can take DEXTROMETHORPHAN and guaifenesin for cough. In general viral infection tends to go way in 3-5 days. Use nasal decongestant if here is nasal blockage. If fever persists beyond 5 days,then you need to consult a doctor for prescription of antibiotics. If you feel that she is very drowsy,then it would be better to get her treated in hospital. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks
Follow-up: What is the treatment for a diabetic person suffering from cough and fever? 2 days later
Hi Doctor, We took her to near by physician on Monday morning, he has given the uploaded reports.. today afternoon she vomited twice and still have that chillness and early morning she felt little giddiness.... Let us know should we have to do any tests or go for any other doctor checkup.. Thanks and regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 41 minutes later
Hello, I have read the prescription. Carry on with your medications as it is just 2nd day of your treatment. Wait and watch and complete the treatment course of give days. In case her problems persist even after 5 days,you consult the doctor again and get your mother investigated. Thanks