What is the treatment for a child having loose stools every morning?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
my 9 year old son started hurting in his stomach 5 days ago. for the past 4 mornings he has had a loose stool first thing in the morning, and that is the only symptoms other than not much of an appetite. Any suggestions, Thank you
Posted Tue, 7 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Probiotics amd electrolytes Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing to health care magic If he is active and playing , do not worry. Give him electrolyte solution 200ml with each loose motion. Also consider probiotics like saccharomyces available in different brand names twice a day for 3 days. It should settle soon. Ensure he drinks plenty of water and avoid spicy oily foods. Regards Dr Arun
Follow-up: What is the treatment for a child having loose stools every morning? 22 minutes later
he is active for the most part, but he does tire easily. i have just related that to him not eating as much and then having the loose stool and cramping first thing in the morn. he does say that he is hungry and will eat about half of what you give him. but, he also told me that he was afraid to eat much because he is afraid it will make his stomach hurt again. I took him to his Dr. yesterday and he told us to just keep him on a bland diet and start him on Imodium. what is your advice on this? Not to sound strange but, where can these probiotics be purchased? he is drinking gatorade or do you think water is better? Thank you so much
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer: culturelle Detailed Answer: Continue Gatorade and Imodium as prescribed. Do give him plenty of water and keep diet bland. Culturelle is the leading pediatric probiotic brand, you can check with nearby pharmacy. Instructions are on the package. Yoghurt too contains natural probiotics which you can give. Regards Dr Arun