What is the treatment for a bipolar suffering from hypomania and depression?

I'm bipolar. I'm in a mixed state and feel really irritated and anxious and can't stop thinking about death and dying and running away. I'm miserable, I can't sleep. My primary care manager has put in a referral for me to see a psychiatrist but either the office or my insurance keeps messing it up and it's been three weeks with me going in and out of depression, hypomania and the two together. What do I do?
Posted Sun, 5 Jan 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. Bipolar disorder has a recurrent and cyclic nature of symptoms and this makes it a challenging illness to manage. The patient is often unable to seek guidance at times and it can become really distressing as you are experiencing. A psychiatry reference is the right step but it seems you are having problems with your office which is causing a delay in consultation with your doctor. Medications are an important and safe treatment option but it should be taken under close supervision so that the dose and any possible side effects can be monitored. Further, treatment is complicated by the risk of inducing opposite or polar changes in mood state. Acute manic and mixed episodes of sufficient severity can constitute medical emergencies requiring hospitalization to ensure safety and enhance rapid recovery. If you feel that things are not going right and you are in a persistent depressive state, please do not hesitate in going to the ER immediately. You might require treatment with mood-stabilizing agents which are the mainstay in the treatment of this illness, but psychotherapy is often required. Mood-stabilizing medications are effective in managing symptoms of bipolar disorder. Please have a close family member with you at all times and avoid being alone. Do catch up with your psychiatrist's appointment at the earliest. Wishing you good health. Hope this answers your query, Dr.A.Rao Kavoor